El Paso Streetcar, headed north / Photo -El Paso County Historical Commission
Downtown motorists should expect closures on Franklin Avenue in the coming weeks while an important thoroughfare in the heart of South El Paso is scheduled to re-open in time to accommodate holiday shoppers, the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority announced. This work is part of the El Paso Streetcar Project.
Crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks are scheduled to begin laying rail on Franklin Avenue on during the first week of December.
In anticipation of this work, on Monday, November 21, 2016, lane closures will be in place along Franklin Avenue between Stanton Street and Kansas Street. Those lane restrictions will be in place for approximately two weeks.
Beginning on Monday, December 5, 2016, Franklin Avenue will be closed to all traffic between Mesa Street and Kansas Street. Also at this time, Stanton Street will be closed between Main Drive and Missouri Avenue. Lane restrictions will remain in place on Kansas Street at Franklin Avenue.
Because of the complex nature of the track and switching mechanisms in this area, this closure is expected to last between eight and ten weeks.
Crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks will begin paving Father Rahm Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street on Monday, November 21, 2016. Paving is scheduled to be complete on Wednesday, November 23, 2016.
During this time, pedestrians will not be allowed to walk across freshly laid asphalt. Police officers and/or flaggers will direct pedestrian traffic around the area. Intermittent closures of north-south cross streets will also take place during this work
While Father Rahm Avenue will reopen to all traffic on Thursday, November 24, 2016, intermittent work will continue as crews finalize concrete work, lane markings, and above ground utility placement.
As work continues along the 4.8 mile route, the following traffic impacts will remain in place during the week of November 21, 2016:
- Oregon Street between Rio Grande Avenue and Schuster Avenue (open to northbound traffic only)
- Arizona Avenue between Mesa Street and Oregon Street
- Rio Grande Avenue between Oregon Street and El Paso Street
- Crosby Avenue, Cliff Drive, River Avenue, and California Avenue immediately west of Oregon Street.
- Stanton Street between Arizona Avenue and California Avenue
- Arizona Avenue between Kansas Street and Oregon Street
- Santa Fe Street between Overland Avenue and Franklin Avenue
- San Antonio Avenue at Santa Fe Street
- Main Drive at Santa Fe Street
- Sheldon Court at Santa Fe Street
- Yandell Drive at Oregon Street
- Schuster Avenue at Oregon Street
- Oregon Street between Yandell Drive and Nevada Avenue
- Santa Fe Street between Montestruc Court and Paisano Drive
- Stanton Street between Franklin Avenue and Wyoming Avenue