Trolley in Downtown El Paso 1970’s / Courtesy: Pintrest
Downtown commuters will have a little more room to move starting next week as crews lift as new traffic patterns in place on Franklin Avenue and lane restrictions continue to east on Kansas Street, according to the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority.
- Beginning on Monday, May 8, 2017, Franklin Avenue will re-open to east-west traffic between Santa Fe Street and Oregon Street near Southwest University Park, eastbound traffic on Franklin Avenue between Oregon Street and Kansas Street will move to the south side of the street, and left turns will once again be allowed from Mesa Street onto Franklin Avenue.
- Also at this time, Stanton Street will re-open to northbound traffic between Main Drive and Franklin Avenue. Stanton will close to thru traffic between Franklin Avenue and Missouri Avenue for three weeks as crews begin rail work there.
- By the end of the week of May 8, Kansas Street will re-open to all southbound lanes traffic between Franklin Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue. A single lane restriction will remain in place on Kansas at Franklin.
These changes will make it easier for motorists to navigate around lane restrictions on Wyoming Avenue and Yandell Drive and the complete closures of Oregon Street and Stanton Street at Interstate 10.
Earlier, Stanton Street and Oregon Street closed to all traffic between Yandell Drive and Wyoming Avenue to accommodate the placement of rail and specially formulated concrete on overpasses which will carry the streetcar line across I-10.
Overpass closures are scheduled to last approximately eight weeks. Lane restrictions will also be in place on Yandell Drive for approximately eight weeks and on Wyoming Avenue for approximately twelve weeks.
As a result, motorists are asked to consider alternate routes into Downtown including the following:
- From I-10 west, exit Cotton Street to Texas Avenue
- Use Loop 375 west to Campbell Street
- From I-10 east, exit Executive Center to Paisano
Paving Operations Continue on North Stanton Street
North Stanton Street remains reduced to a single northbound lane between Montana Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue as crews continue work repaving the street and begin work on streetcar boarding stations.
This work includes the closure of Boston Avenue between Kansas Street and Stanton Street.
During the week of May 8, 2017, the following streets will be intermittently closed to thru traffic between Stanton Street and Kansas Street as crews pave through the intersections: Boston Avenue, Kerbey Avenue, University Avenue, Hague Avenue.
Stanton Street is scheduled to re-open to north-south traffic between Crosby Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue by the end of May and between Yandell Drive and Crosby Avenue by the end of June.
The following traffic impacts will remain in place during the week of May 8:
- Glory Road between Randolph Drive and Mesa Street
- Oregon Street between Cincinnati Avenue and Glory Road
- Santa Fe Street between 4th Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue
- Campbell Street at 1st Avenue
Other Upcoming Work
Track work is set to begin on Glory Road between Oregon and Mesa Street and on Baltimore Drive between Stanton Street and Mesa Street in mid-June. This work will set the stage for rail to cross Mesa Street at Glory Road/Baltimore Drive in July.
Beginning on May 22, 2017, lane restrictions will be in place on South El Paso Street at 4th Avenue as crews complete storm drain work there. Also at that time, crews will close the intersection of Santa Fe Street and 4th Avenue to fully reconstruct the intersection.