El Paso International Airport (ELP) officials released new details regarding the facility’s battle to keep travelers and workers safe from the COVID-19 virus.
ELP crews are disinfecting surfaces using a variety of measures including ultraviolet disinfecting technology.
“The health and safety of our passengers, partners, and workforce continue to be our priority,” said Sam Rodriguez, City of El Paso’s Director of Aviation.
“We continue to seek and add innovative, proven solutions to support the future of safe air travel especially as we start to see more and more passengers returning to the terminal.”
The El Paso International Airport implemented various health and safety technological measures early in the pandemic to include:
- Electrostatic disinfecting sprayers
- UV light-emitting units permanently mounted on escalator handrails
- Sanitizer sprayers for work vehicles
- Increased frequency of cleaning and deep cleaning
- Installed social distancing markers, signage, plexiglass dividers, and additional hand sanitizer dispensers
ELP officials say that to provide an even wider range of protection, three types of germicidal ultraviolet (UVC) disinfection devices were installed in the terminal over the past year.
A preliminary study of the surface of the areas where these devices were deployed showed they provided protection against COVID-19 as well as other viruses, bacteria, mold and spores.
The three types of devices were deployed and tested by Safe Disinfection Inc., a disinfection product specialist company that focuses on developing multi-level strategies for airports and other public and private facilities.
The devices implemented at the El Paso International included:
- The Foton Defender TM an in-ceiling permanently mounted light fixture that directs light down into a room. It continuously applies UVC light to disinfect exposed surfaces. Seven light fixtures were installed in the custodial break rooms, badging office, Foreign Trade Zone, and Customs office.
- The Safe Disinfecting SD Chamber a table-top device that contains, high-powered UVC lamps. Measuring 2 ft. by 2 ft., it disinfects high-touch items like cell phones and tablets.
- The Safe Disinfecting 850 Max a portable tower that fills a room with UVC light. This unit provides an extra layer of disinfection of all public restrooms.