The UTEP women’s tennis team dropped a match to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in Midland, Texas on Friday.
The Orange and Blue move to a 3-4 record while TAMUCC remains undefeated at 6-0.
The Islanders captured the first point of the match by winning two sets in doubles action. UTEP’s duo of Vivienne Kulicke and Bethan Hayward defeated Celia Rodriguez and Maider Martin (6-2) on court No. 2. However, TAMUCC’s duo of Jelena Dzinic and Judit Vives won the set (6-4) against Lois Wagenvoort and Daphne Visscher on court one, while Matilda Tench and Raven Bennett fell to Hortense Boscher and Alexandra Bellle (6-4) on court three.
In singles competition, Vivienne Kulicke earned the only point for the Miners by defeating Hortense Boscher (6-3, 6-3) on court one. Lois Wagenvoort put up a good fight against Jelena Dzinic, but the Islander claimed the point (3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8) on court No. 2. The Islanders continued to build momentum and picked up the final four points and ultimately won the match, 6-1.
Up next, the Miners will open the 2016 home slate as they take on Abilene Christian on Friday Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. (MT) at the Coronado Country Club.
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Hortense Boscher (AMCC) 6-3, 6-3
- Jelena Dzinic (AMCC) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8
- Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-0, 6-2
- Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
- Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 7-5, 6-3
- Kerry Galhos (AMCC) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-0, 6-3
- Jelena Dzinic/Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Lois Wagenvoort/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-4
- Vivienne Kulicke/Bethan Hayward (UTEP) def. Celia Rodriguez/Maider Martin (AMCC) 6-2
- Hortense Boscher/Alexandra Belle (AMCC) def. Matilda Tench/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-4