TEMPE, Ariz. – The UTEP tennis team fell to No. 27 Arizona State on Friday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz.
The loss dropped the Miners to a 3-3 overall record, while the Sun Devils improved to 2-1.
“I’m quite happy with the way we competed today,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “We told the team they had to do a better job at getting started earlier in the match, and they did just that. To go shoulder to shoulder in doubles and three out of six singles against a top 27 team is certainly a step in the right direction.”
ASU claimed the doubles point to take an early 1-0 match lead over UTEP. Freshman Raven Bennett and senior Matilda Tench fell to ASU’s Desirae Krawczyk and Gussie O’Sullivan, 6-1, at the No. 3 position. At the No. 1, Vivienne Kulicke and Duda Santos lost to a No. 39 nationally ranked team, Ebony Ponoho and Alexandra Osborne, 6-4. Lois Wagenvoort and Daphne Visscher also faced a ranked duo versus Sammi Hampton and Kassidy Jump (No. 42) but the set was unfinished due to ASU claiming the first match point.
In singles competition, Kulicke picked up UTEP’s only point of the match with a thrilling victory over Krawczyk who is ranked No. 75 in the nation in singles. Kulicke grabbed the first set, 7-5, but dropped the second, 6-0. The sophomore came back in the third to claim a 10-8 win over her tough opponent.
“Vivienne did a great job getting herself in the right mindset today,” Aspillaga said. “That allowed her to play decisively and to make better adjustments throughout the match. The most important part was her ability to regroup from a tough second set, to play purposeful and solid tennis to close a high-pressure third set tie-breaker.”
The Orange and Blue will have a week off, but will hit the road for a match against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Feb. 12 in Midland, Texas. The first serve is scheduled for 11 a.m. (MT).
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) 7-5, 0-6, 10-8
- Kassidy Jump (ASU) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-3, 6-4
- Ebony Ponoho (ASU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
- Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
- Gussie O’Sullivan (ASU) def. Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
- Alexandra Osborne (ASU) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 6-1, 4-6, 10-8
- Ebony Ponoho/Alexandra Osborne (ASU) def. Vivienne Kulicke/Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-4
- Sammi Hampton/Kassidy Jump (ASU) vs. Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) unfinished
- Desirae Krawczyk/Gussie O’Sullivan (ASU) def. Matilda Tench/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-1