Jacob Cowing | Ruben R. Ramirez/UTEP Athletics
UTEP is set to close out non-conference play this weekend when the Miners travel to take on the ULM Warhawks on in Monroe, Louisiana.
ULM (0-2) enters the game looking for their first win of the season, while the Miners are in search of a 3-1 start to the 2020 campaign.
UTEP (2-1) is coming off a 17-13 victory at home over Abilene Christian, while the Warhawks are looking to bounce back following back-to-back loss at Army (L, 7-37) and versus Texas State (L, 17-38).
Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. MT this Saturday at Malone Stadium in Monroe. The game will be nationally televised on ESPN2 and available on WatchESPN.com with Clay Matvick (play-by-play) and Rocky Boiman (analysis) calling all the action on Saturday afternoon. Fans can also tune in to the radio broadcast on ESPN 600 El Paso to hear Jon Teicher (PxP) and Mike Perez (analysis) on the call.
This weekend’s game at ULM marks the first ever meeting between the Miners and Warhawks on the gridiron. UTEP is 5-0 all-time against teams in the Sun Belt.
UTEP (2-1) at ULM (0-2)
Date: Saturday, Sept. 26 | Time: 1:30 p.m. MT | Location: Monroe, La. | Venue: Malone Stadium
A MINER WIN WOULD…
- Improve UTEP’s overall record to 3-1, marking the best start for the Miners since the 2010 team started the season 5-1.
- Give UTEP the most wins in a single season since 2014 when the team tallied four wins on the season.
- Be the first non-conference road win for UTEP since 2015 when the Miners took down NM State with a 50-47 overtime win.
- With last Saturday’s win over Abilene Christian, the UTEP Miners improved to 2-1 overall on the season and a perfect 2-0 record at the Sun Bowl in 2020. It marks the first time since 2014 that the Miners have started a season 2-1, while the 2-0 start at home marks a first for the program since the 2010 campaign. In the win over Abilene Christian, UTEP outscored the Wildcats, 17-6 after falling behind 7-0 early in the game.
- UTEP sophomore WR Jacob Cowing is currently ranked 2nd in the nation and in Conference USA in receiving yards three games into the 2020 season. Cowing leads the Miners with 19 receptions for 275 yards in three games. The Arizona native is averaging 14.5 yards per catch and 91.7 yards per game this season. As for senior WR Justin Garrett, he is currently ranked 12th nationally and 3rd in C-USA with 12 catches for 167 yards and a touchdown. He is averaging 13.9 yard per catch and 55.7 yards per game.
- Sophomore QB Gavin Hardison enters this week ranked 5th among FBS quarterbacks in total passing yards. Through three games, Hardison is 44-of-80 passing for 548 yards and a touchdown. His 548 passing yards in three games also ranks second among Conference USA quarterbacks. The Hobbs, N.M., native has a 55.0 completion percentage and is averaging 182.7 yards per game going into Saturday’s game at ULM.
- The Miners will take on a familiar face on Saturday with former UTEP defensive coordinator Scott Stoker taking on the same role with the Warhawks. Stoker went to ULM as the LB coach following three seasons as the defensive coordinator at UTEP (2013-15). Stoker recently took over as ULM defensive coordinator on Sept. 2 after the resignation of Mike Collins.
- In UTEP’s two wins this season, the Miners have had to come from behind twice to clinch the pair of victories. In the opener, Stephen F. Austin jumped out to a 14-3 lead before UTEP shutout the Lumberjacks 21-0 the rest of the way for a 24-14 win. In the second home game of the season, UTEP fell behind 7-0 to Abilene Christian in the first quarter, but the Miners once again rallied to outscore the Wildcats, 17-6, the remainder of the game to secure a 17-13 victory at the Sun Bowl, the team’s second home win of the season.
Twitter Updates: @UTEPFB | Live Stats
TV/Stream: ESPN2 (Watch)
PxP: Clay Matvick
Analyst: Rocky Boiman
Radio: ESPN 600 El Paso (Listen)
PxP: Jon Teicher
Analyst: Mike Perez
For complete coverage of UTEP Football, be sure to follow the Miners on social media at @UTEPFB (Twitter/Instagram) or visit the official home of UTEP Athletics.