Students from The University of Texas at El Paso attended the 2017 Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) conference in Dallas, Texas on March 30- April 1 and brought home multiple accolades for their work on The Prospector student newspaper and Minero Magazine, UTEP’s biennial student magazine.
UTEP students also received eight honorable mentions for ad design, feature photo, illustration, opinion page design, photo illustration, single subject presentation and sports news story.
“The students competed in Division 2 against their peers in other Texas colleges and universities that publish a newspaper once per week,” Kathleen Flores, director of UTEP’s Student Media and Publications, said. “The fact that they came in second in overall excellence in their division is the award they are the most proud about. The number of awards won speaks to the dedication, talent and resourcefulness of the students who work daily in student media.”
Three students with Minero Magazine received honorable mentions in the category of General Magazine for column, illustration and news feature story. Two students received honorable mentions in the Online category for their work on The Prospector for best breaking news video and best multimedia package.
“I am very proud of our students for the statewide recognition they have received for all of the hard work and creativity that goes into publishing the news, stories and images that inform the student community,” Flores said.
In the category of Newspaper Division 2, The Prospector students received the following awards:
· First place for headline to Michaela Roman
· First place for illustration to Jacobo De La Rosa
· First place for Spanish writing to Jose Soto
· First place for special edition to Adrian Broaddus, Jacobo De La Rosa, Amanda Guillen, Michaela Roman and Christopher Pinoñes
· Second place for overall excellence to the Prospector staff
· Second place for general column to Jason Green
· Second place for in-depth reporting to Christian Vasquez
· Second place for sports feature story to Jason Green
· Third place for information graphic to Jacobo De La Rosa and Adrian Broaddus