UTEP received singles victories from Kirsten Prelle, Erandi Martinez and Kathleen Percegona but visiting Utah State snuck past the Miners, 4-3, at the El Paso Tennis Club Sunday.
The Miners (3-6) were edged in the doubles point by the Aggies (4-6) and attempted to rally but ultimately came up one match shy in singles.
“I am extremely proud of the team,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We had a great weekend at home (won two of three). The fan support from the El Paso tennis club members made for an incredible environment. We competed very well all three matches and are constantly improving. It is very rewarding to see the team come together to fight like this. The coaches are very proud of this Miner tennis team.”
In doubles play Prelle and Percegona showed off a strong resolve with a 7-6 vanquishing of Hannah Jones and Alexandra Taylor at No. 1 doubles. The Miners’ pairing of Vanessa Valdez and Yvette Van Oijen battled only to fall, 7-6, against Sidnee Lavatai and Alexandra Pisareva at No. 2 doubles. Martinez and Rine Nozaki were dropped at No. 3 doubles, 6-1, by Annaliese County and Lucy Octave.
The Orange and Blue refocused for singles play. Prelle continued her hot streak by posting her fifth consecutive win. She toppled Pisareva, 4-6, 6-4, 10-7. It was an especially impressive win, with Pisareva rating fifth in the region. Martinez dropped Taylor, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 3 singles. Percegona also had a straight-set triumph, besting County, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 5 singles.
Van Oijen went down fighting at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 6-4, against Lavatai. Nozaki also lost by a 6-4, 6-4, margin against Gabrielle Dekkers at No. 4 singles. Valdez fell in the opening set to Jones, 6-4, before dropping the second set, 6-0.
UTEP will be back in action with a match at Wyoming at 11 a.m. MT Saturday.
Utah State vs UTEP
2/24/2019 at El Paso Tennis Club | Utah State 4, UTEP 3
1. Kirsten Prelle (UTEP) def. Alexandra Pisareva (US) 4-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Hannah Jones (US) def. Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) 6-4, 6-0
3. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Alexandra Taylor (US) 6-4, 6-3
4. Gabrielle Dekkers (US) def. Rine Nozaki (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Annaliese County (US) 6-4, 6-3
6. Sidnee Lavatai (US) def. Yvette Van Oijen (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
1. Kirsten Prelle/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Hannah Jones/Alexandra Taylor (US) 7-6
2. Sidnee Lavatai/Alexandra Pisareva (US) def. Vanessa Valdez/Yvette Van Oijen (UTEP) 7-6
3. Annaliese County/Lucy Octave (US) def. Erandi Martinez/Rine Nozaki (UTEP) 6-1
Utah State 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,4,3,1)