MYERS, Fla. – The UTEP women’s tennis team (7-6, 1-0 C-USA) fell short at Florida Gulf Coast (5-5)on Wednesday, as the Eagles pulled out a 4-3 victory at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU earned the first point of the match in doubles competition. Duda Santos and Vivienne Kulicke suffered their sixth loss of the season in No. 1doubles play, falling to Breana Stampfli and Joselyn Treyes, 6-1. The Nos. 2 and 3 Miner tandems were also taken down.
In singles action, No. 119 Vivienne Kulicke breezed by FGCU’s Stampfli, 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 1 spot. Wagenvoort took on Treyes of the Eagles in a three-set thriller but was unable to deliver a point, falling 5-7, 7-5, 7-5.
At court three, Santos defeated Julia Ascua in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Visscher gained another point for the Miners at No. 4, as she took down Elizabeth Means, 6-0, 6-1. Matilda Tench fell at No. 5 to Juliana Curtis, 6-2, 6-4, while Maria Paula Medina was defeated by Laura Falceto, 6-2, 6-0.
The Miners will round up the week on Friday in Miami, Fla., competing against C-USA foe Florida International at 9 a.m. (MT).
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
- Joselyn Treyes (FGCU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
- Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Julia Ascua (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
- Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
- Julianna Curtis (FGCU) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
- Laura Falceto (FGCU) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
- Breana Stampfli/Joselyn Treyes (FGCU) def. Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 6-1
- Julia Ascua/Julianna Curtis (FGCU) def. Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-3
- Laura Falceto/Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Matilda Tench/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-4
Author: UTEP Athletics