SAN ANTONIO – The UTEP tennis team secured the doubles point, but couldn’t carry that momentum into singles action in an eventual 4-1 setback at UTSA on Sunday.
“We won the doubles point by playing with a lot of energy,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “That quickly faded in the singles (action). We again could not maintain our level and focus before the match slipped away from us. I know the team is learning from this, and I expect them to turn it around in due time.”
Thássane Abrahim and Eve Daniels got things going with a solid 6-3 triumph against Catalina Cabrique and Laura Baroja at No. 3 doubles. The Miners then locked up the doubles point after Vanessa Valdez and Lina Sáchica blasted Sophie Omoworare and Kylee Kato, 6-2, at No. 2. Kathleen Percegona and Maria Aveiga were trailing, 5-2, against Jasmin Starr and Keegan McCain when the match went unfinished.
UTEP looked poised to post its second straight victory in the series against UTSA, but the Roadrunners rallied in singles action. Valdez was clipped by Starr, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 singles.
Martinez went down fighting, 6-4, 6-4, against Baroja at No. 2 singles.
Percegona was clipped, 7-5, 6-0, by Kato at No. 3 singles and Abrahim was dispatched, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
Sáchica was locked up in a good one with Laura Cabrera at No. 4 singles, with the score standing 6-4, 0-6, 3-3, when it went unfinished. It was the same story for Aveiga at No. 5 against Cabrique. Her score was 1-6, 7-6, 4-3, when it too was halted.
UTEP will look to bounce back when it plays host to Chicago State at 12 p.m. MT on March 16. The match will be held at the El Paso Tennis Club, and admission is free.
Tennis Match Results: UTSA vs UTEP
Mar 8, 2020 at San Antonio, Texas | (UTSA Tennis Center)
UTSA 4, UTEP 1
- Jasmin Starr (UTSA) def. Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) 6-4, 6-2
- Laura Baroja (UTSA) def. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
- Kylee Kato (UTSA) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 7-5, 6-0
- Lina Sáchica (UTEP) vs. Laura Cabrera (UTSA) 6-4, 0-6, 3-3, unfinished
- Maria Aveiga (UTEP) vs. Catalina Cabrique (UTSA) 1-6, 7-6, 4-3, unfinished
- Keegan McCain (UTSA) def. Thássane Abrahim (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
- Kathleen Percegona/Maria Aveiga (UTEP) vs. Jasmin Starr/Keegan McCain (UTSA) 2-5, unfinished
- Vanessa Valdez/Lina Sáchica (UTEP) def. Sophie Omoworare/Kylee Kato (UTSA) 6-2
- Thássane Abrahim/Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Catalina Cabrique/Laura Baroja (UTSA) 6-3
UTSA 7-7 \ UTEP 4-10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,3,1)