The UTEP women’s tennis team dropped a hard-fought match to Iowa State on Friday at the El Paso Tennis and Swim Club. The Cyclones, who have now won 12 straight, took the 4-0 victory.
The short-handed Miners had a strong showing in doubles play. The highlight of the day came from sophomore Raven Bennett and senior Daphne Visscher, who turned in a dominating 6-1 victory over the Cyclones’ Margarita Timakova and Annabella Bonadonna on court two. The decisive match for the doubles point came on court one, with Milou Pietersz and Lois Wagenvoort going toe-to-toe with Iowa State’s Samantha Budai and Maty Cancini. The Miner duo had a 5-4 lead late but could not hold on, falling to the Cyclones 7-5.
Only four singles matches were played, and because of forfeits on courts five and six, the Cyclones took the match 4-0. The Miners were playing without the injured Maria Paula Medina and Duda Santos.
The Miners will be back in action Friday, March 24, when they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to meet with New Mexico. First serve against the Lobos is 11 a.m. MT.
1. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) vs. Budai, Samantha (ISU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. Cancini, Maty (ISU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
3. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) vs. Espindola, Regina (ISU) 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
4. Raven Bennett (UTEP) vs. Freeman, Erin (ISU) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
5. Bonadonna, Annabella (ISU) def. No player (UTEP), by forfeit
6. Timakova, Margarita (ISU) def. No player (UTEP), by forfeit
1. Budai, Samantha/Cancini, Maty (ISU) def. Milou Pietersz/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 7-5
2. Raven Bennett/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Timakova, Margarita/Bonadonna, Annabella (ISU) 6-1
3. Alvarez, Karen/Freeman, Erin (ISU) def. No player/No player (UTEP), by forfeit