LAS VEGAS – Erandi Martinez continued her hot start to the season by winning at no. 2 singles, but the UTEP tennis team was upended by Weber State, 6-1, in Las Vegas on Friday afternoon.
Martinez, who is 2-0 in singles action this spring, topped the Wildcats’ Megan Lombardi, 6-4, 6-2.
Weber State (2-2) secured the all-important doubles point, then prevailed at five of the six singles spots. The Miners’ Thassane Abrahim and Veronika Lesbisova were winners at no. 2 doubles, 6-2.
“We played very well at one and two doubles,” UTEP coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We had chances to win at number one, but couldn’t close out a few games. Tuca [Abrahim] and Vero [Lebisova] played great at number two doubles, getting their first win together.”
The Miners were forced to employ a makeshift singles lineup after no. 1 player Vanessa Valdez’s back tightened up in the doubles competition. With Valdez unable to go in singles, everybody moved up one spot in the order.
“We had chances at number three and number four but lost close ones,” Fernandez said. “Tuca played well in her first match at number one. She played a very experienced player and I know she learned a lot.”
Lebisova dropped a 7-6, 7-5 decision at no. 3 singles, while Kathleen Percegona also lost a tough one 4-6, 6-3, 12-10 at no. 4.
The Miners (0-3) will take on UNLV (2-2) on Saturday at 10 a.m. MT.
“Hopefully this was a good learning experience and we can come back stronger tomorrow,” Fernandez said.
WEBER STATE 6, UTEP 1
- Yuuna Ukita-Ana Morett Salas (WS) def. Vanessa Valdez-Eve Daniels (UTEP) 6-4
- Thassane Abrahim-Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Patty Kuo-Megan Davies (WS) 6-2
- Megan Lombardi-Sicely Ferreira (WS) def. Kathleen Percegona-Lyric Bonilla (UTEP) 6-2
- Ukita (WS) def. Abrahim (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Lombardi (WS) 6-4, 6-2
- Morett Salas (WS) def. Lebisova (UTEP) 7-6, 7-5
- Kuo (WS) def. Percegona (UTEP) 4-6, 6-3, 12-10
- Davies (WS) def. Bonilla (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
- Ferreira (WS) def. Daniels (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1