TUCSON, Ariz.- The UTEP women’s tennis team was defeated by Tulane 4-1 on Friday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. The Miners dropped to 1-4 on the spring season while Tulane avenged its first loss of the season to Arizona on Thursday to improve to 7-1.
“We got outcompeted by Tulane and they deserve the win,” UTEP head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “They were more disciplined in neutral situations, worked harder than us on defense, and overall, made better adjustments throughout the match, even though the altitude conditions here in Tucson favored us.”
The Miners had a successful day in doubles play, but could not get a win in singles against the Green Wave.
The duo of Duda Santos and Lois Wagenvoort defeated Naz Karagoz and Elena Muller 6-0 while Miners Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz took down Kyla Klier and Sade Atkinson 7-5. It was the first doubles point loss of the season for Tulane.
However, the Miners had an unusually weak day in singles play with no matches won. Kulicke was defeated by Karagoz 6-2, 6-2 and Santos could not get by Atkinson, losing 6-2, 7-6 (11-9). Wagenvoort fell to Tulane’s Ivone Alvaro 6-3, 6-2 while Maria Paula Medina lost 6-1, 6-1. Pietersz and teammate Daphne Visscher’s singles matches were unfinished.
The Miners will look to bounce back tomorrow against Arizona. First serve is set for 2 p.m. MT.
Tulane 4, UTEP 1
1. Naz Karagoz (TLN) def. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
2. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) vs. Kyla Klier (TLN) 7-6 (7-5), 3-0, unfinished
3. Sade Atkinson (TLN) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
4. Ivone Alvaro (TLN) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) vs. Elena Muller (TLN) 7-5, 4-3, unfinished
6. Christina Sisti (TLN) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Vivienne Kulicke/Milou Pietersz (UTEP) def. Kyla Klier/Sade Atkinson (TLN) 7-5
2. Duda Santos/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Naz Karagoz/Elena Muller (TLN) 6-0
3. Ivone Alvaro/Christina Sisti (TLN) def. Raven Bennett/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-1