LARAMIE, Wyo.- The Wyoming Cowgirls got off to a quick start, earning the doubles point and never looking back as they defeated the UTEP women’s tennis team 4-0. The Miners fell to 3-7 on the spring season but will look for another win when they travel to Boulder, Colorado for a dual match against the Colorado Buffalo on Sunday.
In doubles play, Daphne Visscher and Raven Bennett fell 6-2 to the Cowgirls’ Miranda Talbert and Magdalena Stencel while Miner teammates Duda Santos and Lois Wagenvoort were defeated 6-4 by their Wyoming opponents. The victories on courts three and two left the No. 1 doubles match between UTEP’s Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz and Wyoming’s Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg unfinished at 3-2.
In singles play, the Miners fell on courts three, two and four, ending the match.
UTEP will end its weekend on the road against Colorado on Sunday. First serve is set for 10 a.m. MT.
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) vs. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 5-7, 4-4, unfinished
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) 6-0, 6-2
3. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
4. Milka Genkova (WY) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) vs. Elisa Koonik (WY) no result
6. Raven Bennett (UTEP) vs. Ana Tkachenko (WY) no result
1. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) vs. Vivienne Kulicke/Milou Pietersz (UTEP) 3-2, unfinished
2. Dorottya Jonas/Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. Duda Santos/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-4
3. Miranda Talbert/Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Daphne Visscher/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,4)