ARLINGTON, Texas- The UTEP women’s tennis team claimed the early doubles point to build momentum for a 4-3 win over UT Arlington on Monday.
The Miners (1-3) gave the Mavericks (1-2) their second loss at home after the 23-match home winning streak was snapped Sunday by Michigan State. The Miners now hold a 4-0 all-time series lead over UT Arlington and got their first dual match win of 2017.
“It was a great match,” UTEP head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “The girls competed really well. It’s not easy to come from Oklahoma, coming from playing indoors and competing against a true indoor team with a bunch of first strikers, very aggressive, and then having to drive south to Arlington and play a very consistent, very tough UT Arlington.”
The Miners started the day off with two wins in doubles play. Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz defeated the Mavs’ Agustina Serio and Angeles de los Rios 6-4. The second victory came from Daphne Visscher and Raven Bennett, who took down Valeria Lopez and Jessica Birowski 6-3. Duda Santos and Lois Wagenvoort fell to their UT Arlington opponents 6-3.
In singles play, Daphne Visscher and Maria Paula Medina each took their Maverick opponents to three sets before an exciting finish to help the Miners seal the victory. Visscher slipped by Anna Wichert 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 and Medina wore down Valeria Lopez 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
“They [Visscher and Medina] really did a great job,” Aspillaga said. “Playing in the last matches with all the pressure, they played disciplined, high-percentage tennis. They stepped up for the team and pulled the wins coming from behind. I’m just really, really proud of them for what they did today.”
Kulicke was also victorious in singles play, beating UT Arlington’s de los Rios 6-4, 6-4.
“The girls did an unbelievable job,” Aspillaga said. “Not only fighting and working extremely hard on every point, but just making great adjustments, which is not easy to do.”
Next up for the Miners will be preparing for three dual matches this weekend in Tucson, Ariz. The team will take on Tulane on Friday at 10 a.m. MT, Arizona on Saturday at 2 p.m. MT and finish off with a match against Sacramento State at 9 a.m. MT.
UTEP 4, UT Arlington 3
1. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Angeles de los Rios (UTA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Astrid Gehre (UTA) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-2, 7-6
3. Agustina Serio (UTA) def. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) 7-5, 6-2
4. Jessica Birowski (UTA) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 7-6, 6-3
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Anna Wichert (UTA) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
6. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) def. Valeria Lopez (UTA) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
1. Vivienne Kulicke/Milou Pietersz (UTEP) def. Agustina Serio/Angeles de los Rios (UTA) 6-4
2. Anna Wichert/Astrid Gehre (UTA) def. Duda Santos/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-3
3. Daphne Visscher/Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Valeria Lopez/Jessica Birowski (UTA) 6-3
UT Arlington 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)