UTEP Tennis Hangs Tough With Arizona
The UTEP tennis team put up a good fight in a 7-0 setback to Pac-12 power Arizona at the El Paso Tennis Club Monday.
Carlotta Mencaglia and Kathleen Percegona teamed up to secure a 7-6 doubles win at No. 3 against Belen Nevenhoven and Salma Zioutito, highlighting the day for the Orange and Blue. Mencaglia also forced her match with Nevenhoven to go to a super tiebreaker before succumbing, 7-6, 5-7, 1-0, at No. 6 singles.
“This match was a very good learning experience,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “This Arizona team was very solid and played intelligent tennis. Hopefully we can learn from how this team played against us, and we can make the adjustment for the next matches.”
Action did commence at doubles where the Miners were a few rallies here and there from taking the point. Lexi Ryngler and Kayla Wilkins edged out Thassane Abrahim and Veronika Lebisova, 6-4, at the No. 1 spot. Eve Daniels and Elena Dibattista were bested by Midori Castillo-Meza and Parker Fry, 7-5, at No 2 doubles.
In singles action Dibattista was clipped by Castillo-Meza, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 3. Percegona was tripped up by Wilkins, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 singles. Lebisova was knocked off by Ziouti, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2 singles while Abrahim fell to Ryngler, 6-3, 6-2, at the fourth position. Laura Schmitz fell by a final count of 6-1, 6-1 to Parker Fry.
UTEP will return to action when it plays three matches in as many days in Las Vegas from Friday through Sunday. The Miners will face off with UNLV (Friday), Weber State (Saturday) and Boise State (Sunday).
Tennis Match Results
University of Arizona vs UTEP
Jan 31, 2022 at
University of Arizona 7, UTEP 0
- Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-4, 6-2
- Salma Ziouti (ARIZ) def. Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
- Midori Castillo-Meza (ARIZ) def. Elena Dibattista (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
- Lexi Ryngler (ARIZ) def. Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
- Parker Fry (ARIZ) def. Laura Schmitz (UTEP) 6-1, 6-2
- Belen Nevenhoven (ARIZ) def. Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) 7-6, 5-7, 1-0
- Lexi Ryngler/Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) def. Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) 6-4
- Midori Castillo-Meza/Parker Fry (ARIZ) def. Eve Daniels/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) 7-5
- Kathleen Percegona/Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) def. Belen Nevenhoven/Salma Ziouti (ARIZ) 7-6
University of Arizona 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,2,1,4,3,6)