Thassane Abrahim (third-set super breaker), Elena Dibattista (straight sets) and Eve Daniels (by default) all picked up victories but visiting UTSA did just enough to edge out the UTEP tennis team, 4-3, at the El Paso Tennis Club Friday.
via UTEP Athletics
Like the setback against Texas A&M-CC on Jan. 25, the Miners (1-4) were a few bounces and points away from taking the doubles point against the Roadrunners (1-2). Instead, UTSA managed to secure the point and early lead. It then did just enough in singles, including the Orange and Blue coming up short in two three-set matches, to escape with the triumph.
“We left too many points on the court in doubles, which cost us the point,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “In singles we had plenty of opportunities but lost two matches in three sets. If we had pulled one of those out, it would have gone our way. Ele (Dibattista) and Tuca (Thassane Abrahim) were able to win today. I am really proud with how hard we played but UTSA was just a little stronger than us at the top.”
Veronika Lebisova and Abrahim were nudged by Aleksandra Zlatarova and Alexandra Weir, 6-4, at No. 1 doubles. Carlotta Mencaglia and Daniels put up a great fight before ultimately succumbing, 7-5, to Magda Tuells and Fatima Gutierrez at No. 3 doubles. Zuzanna Szczepanska and Elena Dibattista picked up a win by default at No. 3 doubles.
Dibattista took care of business in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5, against Eve Beyebach at No. 5 singles. Abrahim traded points in a hard-fought 7-6, 3-6, 10-4, triumph against Tuells at No. 4 singles. Daniels was the recipient of winning by default at No. 6 singles.
Lebisova proved her mettle in a narrow 6-0, 2-6, 6-2 setback at the hands of Zlatarova at No. 1 singles. Mencaglia also showed toughness in a three-set defeat, coming up shy, 6-3, 6-7, 7-5, against Weir at No. 2 singles. Szczepanska was derailed by Gutierrez, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3 singles.
The Miners will now be idle for two weeks before playing at Boise State at 11 a.m. MT on Feb. 11. UTEP will round out its time in the region with a neutral-site contest against NAIA program The College of Idaho at 10 a.m. MT on Feb. 12.
UTSA vs UTEP
Jan 27, 2023, at El Paso, Texas
(El Paso Tennis Club)
UTSA 4, UTEP 3
- Aleksandra Zlatarova (UTSA) def. Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
- Alexandra Weir (UTSA) def. Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) 6-3, 6-7, 7-5
- Fatima Gutierrez (UTSA) def. Zuzanna Szczepanska (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
- Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Magda Tuells (UTSA) 7-6, 3-6, 10-4
- Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Eve Beyebach (UTSA) 6-2, 7-5
- Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. No player (UTSA), by default
- Aleksandra Zlatarova/Alexandra Weir (UTSA) def. Veronika Lebisova/Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) 6-4
- Magda Tuells/Fatima Gutierrez (UTSA) def. Carlotta Mencaglia/Eve Daniels (UTEP) 7-5
- Zuzanna Szczepanska/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Eve Beyebach/No player (UTSA), by default
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,3,1,2,5,4)