DENTON, Texas – Vanessa Valdez posted a win in straight sets at No. 1 singles, Eve Daniels picked up a victory at No. 5 and Kathleen Percegona and Maria Aveiga had some success in doubles in the UTEP tennis team’s 5-2 neutral-site setback to LA Tech in its Conference USA opener Saturday.
“Kell (Kathleen Percegona) and Mafer (Maria Aveiga) played great at No. 1 doubles, but we didn’t do enough at No. 2 doubles to get the point,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “In the singles we had a lot of chances, but could not make it work. Vane (Vanessa Valdez) had a great win at No. 1 singles.
Eve (Daniels) played very solid until her opponent retired while Eve was up in the set. Our youth and inexperience are still hurting us, but we should continue to improve with every match.”
Percegona and Aveiga were locked in to post a convincing 6-2 victory at No. 1 doubles against Nadja Manjon and Alexia Romero. UTEP’s Valdez and Erandi Martinez battled at No. 2 doubles before falling, 6-3, at the hands of Ana Jover and Claudia Oravcova.
Coupled with Andrea Perez-Lopez and Ilana Tetruashvili clipping the Miners’ tandem of Daniels and Lina Sáchica, 6-0, at No. 3 doubles, the Lady Techsters took the early lead in the match with the all-important doubles point.
Valdez did her part to rally the troops by defeating Manjon, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 1 singles. Daniels was leading Perez-Lopez, 7-6, 3-2, at No. 5 singles when her foe retired to give her the victory. UTEP played hard on the other courts, but couldn’t get the necessary results to pull out the come-from-behind win.
Sáchica was edged by Jover, 7-5, 7-5, at No. 2 singles. Martinez had her winning streak snapped by Tetruashvili, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 3 singles. Percegona suffered a similar fate by falling to Romero, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4 singles. Thássane Abrahim fought for every point before narrowly falling to Oravcova, 6-4, 6-4.
UTEP will look to regain its winning ways when it plays at North Texas at 11 a.m. MT Sunday.
LA Tech vs UTEP – Feb 15, 2020 at Denton, Texas
LA Tech 5, UTEP 2
- Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) def. Nadja Manjon (LT) 6-3, 7-5
- Ana Jover (LT) def. Lina Sáchica (UTEP) 7-5, 7-5
- Ilana Tetruashvili (LT) def. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-4, 6-0
- Alexia Romero (LT) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-3, 6-0
- Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Andrea Perez-Lopez (LT) 7-6, 3-2, retired
- Claudia Oravcova (LT) def. Thássane Abrahim (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
- Kathleen Percegona/Maria Aveiga (UTEP) def. Nadja Manjon/Alexia Romero (LT) 6-2
- Ana Jover/Claudia Oravcova (LT) def. Vanessa Valdez/Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-3
- Andrea Perez-Lopez/Ilana Tetruashvili (LT) def. Eve Daniels/Lina Sáchica (UTEP) 6-0
LA Tech 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,6,2,1,5)