Kathleen Percegona posted a win in an epic super tiebreaker as the UTEP tennis team fell to Wyoming, 6-1, at the El Paso Tennis Club on Sunday.
The sophomore knocked off Ana Fernandez, 6-2, 4-6, 12-10, in No. 3 singles, highlighting the action for the Miners (4-8) against the Cowgirls (7-2).
“Our youth and inexperience definitely showed today,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We were not consistent enough in both singles and doubles to compete better. If we had found a way to keep more balls in the court, we would have had a better chance to win today. We are fighting hard, but our mental toughness is letting us down. Kell (Kathleen Percegona) had a great weekend, winning both singles and a doubles match. We will continue to work hard to keep improving and get ready to hit the road again next weekend.”
The match commenced with doubles, with the visitors staking the lead as result of victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Percegona and Maria Aveiga were upended by Maria Oreshkina and Oleksandra Balaba, 6-3, at the top position.
Vanessa Valdez and Lina Sáchica fell, 6-1, against Ida Krause and Mihaela Kaftanova, at the second spot. Eve Daniels and Thássane Abrahim were leading Ana Royo and Clara Mansart, 5-2, when the match went unfinished.
UTEP’s hopes of rallying didn’t come to fruition in singles action. Percogona did her part with the super tiebreaker win against Fernandez, but Wyoming took care of business on the other courts. Erandi Martinez battled before falling, 6-2, 7-5, against Oreshkina, at No. 1 singles.
Sáchica went down swinging to Balaba, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. Aveiga was clipped, 6-3, 6-1, by Krause at No. 3 singles. Abrahim was dispatched, 6-3, 6-3, by Royo at No. 5 singles. Daniels went down, 6-2, 6-1, to Kaftanova at No. 6 singles.
UTEP will look to regain its winning ways when it plays at Texas State at 12 p.m. MT Friday. The Miners will then wrap up the weekend on the road at UTSA at 10 a.m. MT Saturday.
Wyoming vs UTEP | Mar 01, 2020 at El Paso Tennis Club
Wyoming 6, UTEP 1
- Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-2, 7-5
- Oleksandra Balaba (WYO) def. Lina Sáchica (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Ana Fernandez (WYO) 6-2, 4-6, 12-10
- Ida Krause (WYO) def. Maria Aveiga (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
- Ana Royo (WYO) def. Thássane Abrahim (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
- Mihaela Kaftanova (WYO) def. Eve Daniels (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
- Maria Oreshkina/Oleksandra Balaba (WYO) def. Kathleen Percegona/Maria Aveiga (UTEP) 6-3
- Ida Krause/Mihaela Kaftanova (WYO) def. Vanessa Valdez/Lina Sáchica (UTEP) 6-1
- Eve Daniels/Thássane Abrahim (UTEP) vs. Ana Royo/Clara Mansart (WYO) 5-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6, 5, 4, 1, 2, 3)