The UTEP tennis team (5-8) extended its winning streak to three by blanking UTPB, 7-0, at the El Paso Tennis Club Sunday morning.
The Miners were in control from the get go, winning all three doubles matches before claiming every singles match.
“We came out strong today by winning all three doubles and were able to keep it going in the singles,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “I’m proud of the team for the energy and focus today. We hope to keep this momentum as we hit the road again the weekend.”
UTEP was ready at the onset, claiming all three matches in doubles action. Veronika Lebisova and Thassane Abrahim rolled past Lore Mewis and Lisa Guitton, 6-1, at No. 1 doubles. Carlotta Mencaglia and Eve Daniels emerged victorious by the same score over Krystal Smith and Rhea Singh at No. 2 doubles. Kathleen Percegona and Elena Dibattista took down Brooke Runyan and Teodora Vrucan, 6-3, at No. 3 doubles.
The Miners continued to cruise in singles action. Dibattista was nearly flawless in a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 4 singles. Mencaglia blasted Singh, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 2 singles. Lebisova rolled over Smith, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 5 singles.
Abrahim took out Runyan, 6-2, 6-3, at No. singles while Lina Sachica bested Mewis, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 3 singles. Percegona rallied past Vrucan, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1 singles to complete the dominant day.
The Miners will look to keep it rolling when they play at Tarleton State on March 25 and against UTRGV on March 26.
Tennis Match Results
UTPB vs UTEP
Mar 20, 2022 at El Paso, Texas
(El Paso Tennis Club)
UTEP 7, UTPB 0
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Teodora Vrucan (UTPB) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) def. Rhea Singh (UTPB) 6-2, 6-0
- Lina Sachica (UTEP) def. Lore Mewis (UTPB) 6-1, 6-4
- Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Lisa Guitton (UTPB) 6-1, 6-0
- Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Krystal Smith (UTPB) 6-2, 6-2
- Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Brooke Runyan (UTPB) 6-2, 6-3
- Veronika Lebisova/Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Lore Mewis/Lisa Guitton (UTPB) 6-1
- Carlotta Mencaglia/Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Krystal Smith/Rhea Singh (UTPB) 6-1
- Kathleen Percegona/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Brooke Runyan/Teodora Vrucan (UTPB) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (12,3); Singles (2,4,5,6,3,1)