DALLAS, Texas – The UTEP women’s tennis team notched its fifth shutout of the season Saturday morning with a 4-0 victory over Texas Rio Grande Valley at the SMU Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Miners improve to 10-8 overall and 2-1 in conference action, while the Vaqueros fall to 9-8 overall and 3-2 in conference play.
“The team did a good job getting into a competitive mindset after not playing for two weeks,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “The doubles were a bit flat, and some healthy nerves came into play, but ultimately they stepped up in singles and clinched the match by playing good tennis.”
The duo of Vivienne Kulicke and Duda Santos pucked up their third consecutive win by beating Tara Donaho and Reegan Greenwood, 6-2, at the top spot of doubles play, while Lois Wagenvoort and Matilda Tench topped Natacha Minc and Dominique Esparza, 6-4, at No. 2 doubles to wrap up the point for the Miners.
The solid play continued in singles as No. 109 Kulicke beat Reegan Greenwood, 6-2, 6-4. Santos defeated UTRGV’s Esparza, 6-2, 6-2 and Wagenvoort picked up the fourth point for UTEP with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Minc.
The Miners will look to repeat the effort Sunday when they take on SMU at 10 a.m. MT at the SMU Tennis Complex.
- #109 Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Reegan Greenwood (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-4
- Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Dominique Esparza (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-2
- Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Natacha Minc (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-3
- Dominique Ibarra (UTRGV) vs. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) unfinished
- Doris Aleksovska (UTRGV) vs. Matilda Tench (UTEP) unfinished
- Tara Donaho (UTRGV) vs. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) unfinished
- Vivienne Kulicke/Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Tara Donaho/Reegan Greenwood (UTRGV) 6-2
- Lois Wagenvoort/Matilda Tench (UTEP) def. Natacha Minc/Dominique Esparza (UTRGV) 6-4
- Doris Aleksovska/Dominique Ibarra (UTRGV) def. Maria Paula Medina/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-2