DALLAS, Texas – The UTEP women’s tennis team dropped its final road contest of the regular season against SMU by a score of 6-1 at the SMU Tennis Complex on Sunday.
UTEP falls to 10-9 for the year, while the Mustangs advance to 13-9.
“SMU is a very talented squad and brought its A-game for Senior Day,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said.
SMU stormed through the doubles portion of the match picking up wins on courts one and three.
The Mustangs kept rolling to start singles play as Hristina Dishcova toppled No. 109 Vivienne Kulicke on the No. 1 court, 7-5, 6-2, and Duda Santos dropped her match to Vaszilisza Bulgakova on the No. 2 position, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. Lois Wagenvoort fought a tough match at the No. 3 position but ultimately lost, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7.
The Miners dropped contests at courts four and five at singles but Maria Paula Medina avoided the sweep by picking up a 6-3, 6-4 victory at the No. 6 spot.
“The fact that we were able to push their seniors against the ropes in the top of the lineup says a lot about the direction this team is taking,” Aspillaga said. “There is still incredible room for improvement for us as we return our top four players next year. It was also great to see Maria Paula get a hard-fought win today. We still have two great opportunities to close the season well and we will get back to work to finish strong.”
The Orange and Blue will return to the El Paso Tennis Club next week to compete in its final two matches of the regular season. The Miners will host NM State on Friday at 4 p.m. MT and will close out the weekend against New Mexico on Saturday at 11 a.m., where Matilda Tench will celebrate her Senior Day.
- Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 7-5, 6-2
- Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
- Yana Erkeeva (SMU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
- Dasha Sharapova (SMU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
- Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
- Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) def. Macie Elliott (SMU) 6-3, 6-4
- Vaszilisza Bulgakova/Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 6-1
- Dasha Sharapova/Mary Wright (SMU) vs. Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 4-5, unfinished
- Macie Elliott/Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) def. Raven Bennett/Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-2