The UTEP tennis team blitzed Western New Mexico, 7-0, in its home opener on Sunday to square its record at 1-1 on the young season.
“These matches are more difficult than they seem because the level of intensity and pace of play is not what we’re normally used to,” Miners coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We did what we needed to do to stay on top in all of these matches. Even though the scores were lopsided, the points were actually pretty good. I’m proud of the girls for maintaining their energy and focus throughout the entire match and getting it done.”
The Miners set the tone for the dominating afternoon by dropping just two points combined in the three doubles matches. Eve Daniels/Elena Dibattista (no. 2 doubles) and Kathleen Percegona/Carlotta Mencaglia (no. 3) doubles both whitewashed their opponents, 6-0.
Percegona was also flawless at no. 1 singles, as she made quick work of the Mustangs’ Andreea Arnautu 6-0, 6-0. Veronika Lebisova (no. 2 singles) and Laura Schmitz (no. 5) each surrendered just one point in overwhelming their foes.
Rounding out the scoring were lopsided victories by Dibattista, Thassane Abrahim and Mencaglia at nos. 3, 4 and 6 singles, respectively.
The Miners will play its second straight home match when it locks up with Pac-12 power Arizona on Monday, Jan. 31 at 10 a.m. at the El Paso Tennis Club.
UTEP 7, Western New Mexico 0
- Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Julia Terrazas/Massiel Paredes (WNMU) 6-2
- Eve Daniels/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Kajsa Gedlitschka/Livia Leite (WNMU) 6-0
- Kathleen Percegona/Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) def. Nicold Gonzalez/Caini Wang (WNMU) 6-0
- Percegona (UTEP) def. Andreea Arnautu (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
- Lebisova (UTEP) def. Leite (WNMU) 6-1, 6-0
- Dibattista (UTEP) def. Gedlitschka (WNMU) 6-2, 6-3
- Abrahim (UTEP) def. Paredes (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
- Laura Schmitz (UTEP) def. Wang (WNMU) 6-0, 6-1
- Mencaglia (UTEP) def. Gonzalez (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
UTEP 1-1 | Western New Mexico 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (1, 5, 2, 6, 4, 3)