LARAMIE, Wyo.- The UTEP women’s tennis team notched its third win of the spring season by taking down Nebraska-Kearney 5-2 in a neutral site match at the UW Tennis Complex in Laramie, Wyoming. The Miners moved to 3-6 on the season while the Lopers fell to 3-1.
The Miners got off to a quick lead, grabbing the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 spot and No. 2 spot. Intercollegiate Tennis Association No. 48 doubles team of Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz handled UNK’s Ana Royo and Camryn Parnell 6-2 on court one while Maria Paula Medina and Lois Wagenvoort took care of their Loper opponents, Sthefani Rodriguez and Yuxiu “Sherry” Sun, 6-1.
Daphne Visscher and Raven Bennett’s doubles match went unfinished.
In singles play, UTEP’s No. 1 Kulicke beat Sun in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 while Bennett took care of business on court three, taking down Alvarez 6-1, 6-0. Pietersz, playing at the No. 5 spot for the Miners, handled Rodriguez 6-1, 6-2 and Visscher grabbed herself a win as well on court six over Parnell 6-4, 6-1. Medina and Wagenvoort both fell to their UNK opponents 6-2, 6-3 and 6-4, 6-3, respectively.
The Miners will be in the hunt for a second win Saturday when they meet with host Wyoming. First serve against the Cowgirls is scheduled for 11 a.m. MT.
FINAL: UTEP 5, Nebraska Kearney 2
1. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Yuxiu Sun (UNK) 6-1, 6-0
2. Ana Royo (UNK) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
3. Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Amanda Alvarez (UNK) 6-1, 6-0
4. Emma Neil (UNK) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-4, 6-3
5. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) def. Sthefani Rodriguez (UNK) 6-1, 6-2
6. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Camryn Parnell (UNK) 6-4, 6-1
1. Vivienne Kulicke/Milou Pietersz (UTEP) def. Ana Royo/Camryn Parnell (UNK) 6-2
2. Maria Paula Medina/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Sthefani Rodriguez/Yuxiu Sun (UNK) 6-1
3. Daphne Visscher/Raven Bennett (UTEP) vs. Emma Neil/Amanda Alvarez (UNK) unfinished