ALBUQUERQUE – The UTEP tennis team was derailed at New Mexico, 7-0, Saturday afternoon. The Miners (3-9) were bested in doubles play by the Lobos (5-7) and were unable to recover in singles competition.
“We will continue to work hard and improve little by little,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We have lots of tennis left to play. I know we will get it back.”
The match began with doubles action where homestanding UNM took the early lead. Ruth Copas and Danielle Quevedo snuck past Yvette Van Oijen and Vanessa Valdez, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles. Kirsten Prelle and Kathleen Percegona fell at No. 2 doubles to Hsiiang-Wen Huang and Yuelin Chen, 6-2. The Miners’ Rine Nozaki and Erandi Martinez were leading, 5-4, at No. 3 doubles against Bronte Murgett and Natasha Munday when the match was halted due to the team point having already been decided.
Action then turned to singles play, where Valdez was unable to compete due to an injury. Prelle squared off with Copas at No. 1 singles. She dropped the first set, 6-4, before rallying back to stake the second set, 6-4. In the super tiebreaker the freshman battled but was ultimately edged, 11-9.
Percegona was tripped up by Murgett, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Martinez was clipped by Huang, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 3 singles.
Van Oijen fell at the hands of Quevedo, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 singles. Nozaki was knocked off by Munday, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5 singles. Milena Baigorria was dispatched by Chen, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6 singles.
The Miners will look to regain their winning ways when they play at Stephen F. Austin on March 17.
Tennis Match Results
UTEP at New Mexico
3/9/2019 at Albuquerque, N.M.
At New Mexico 7, UTEP 0
1. Ruth Copas (UNM) def. Kirsten Prelle (UTEP) 6-4, 4-6, 11-9
2. Bronte Murgett (UNM) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
3. Hsiiang-Wen Huang (UNM) def. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-1, 7-5
4. Danielle Quevedo (UNM) def. Yvette Van Oijen (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Natasha Munday (UNM) def. Rine Nozaki (UTEP) 6-1, 6-4
6. Yuelin Chen (UNM) def. Milena Baigorria (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ruth Copas/Danielle Quevedo (UNM) def. Yvette Van Oijen/Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) 6-3
2. Hsiiang-Wen Huang/Yuelin Chen (UNM) def. Kirsten Prelle/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-2
3. Bronte Murgett/Natasha Munday (UNM) vs. Rine Nozaki/Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 4-5, unfinished
New Mexico 5-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,2,6,5,3,1)