Kathleen Percegona | photo by Herman Delgado
Erandi Martinez and Kathleen Percegona each notched wins in UTEP’s 5-2 setback to Idaho State on Saturday. The Miners’ doubles pairing of Eve Daniels and Lina Sáchica also tasted victory.
“We did not play to our potential today,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “This was a huge letdown after I felt like we had learned last weekend. We have a lot more work to do. Erandi (Martinez) and Kell (Kathleen Percegona) had a solid day today in singles. Erandi fought through this match and came out on top. Kell played extremely determined and took care of her court extremely well. I hope tomorrow we can bounce back. They just need to believe in themselves and the results will come.”
The Miners (1-3) picked up a win in doubles thanks to Daniels and Sáchica downing Madison Fenske and Melissa Coburn, 6-3, at No. 3 doubles. The Bengals (3-3) secured the doubles point, though, with Hristina Cvetkovic and Megan Poe clipping Vanessa Valdez and Martinez, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles and Alexandra Arkhipov and Angela Walker dispatching Percegona and Maria Aveiga, 6-2, at No. 2 doubles.
Percegona played practically flawless by drilling Poe, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 singles. Martinez also put her name into the win column with a 7-5, 6-3 vanquishing of Coburn at No. 3 singles.
The freshman Daniels fought hard only to be edged by Walker, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 5 singles. Aveiga sustained a similar setback, going down 6-4, 6-2, to Fenske at No. 6 singles. Sáchica was dealt her first loss of the spring when she was downed by Arkhipov, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. She had played at No. 3 previously in the spring. Valdez was knocked off, 6-2, 6-1, by Cvetkovic.
UTEP will look to bounce back when it plays at Utah State at 10 a.m. MT Saturday.
Idaho State vs UTEP – Feb 08, 2020 at Logan, Utah
Idaho State 5, UTEP 2
- Hristina Cvetkovic (IDST) def. Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
- Alexandra Arkhipov (IDST) def. Lina Sáchica (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Melissa Coburn (IDST) 7-5, 6-3
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Megan Poe (IDST) 6-0, 6-1
- Angela Walker (IDST) def. Eve Daniels (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
- Madison Fenske (IDST) def. Maria Aveiga (UTEP) 6-4, 6-2
- Hristina Cvetkovic/Megan Poe (IDST) def. Vanessa Valdez/Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-3
- Alexandra Arkhipov/Angela Walker (IDST) def. Kathleen Percegona/Maria Aveiga (UTEP) 6-2
- Eve Daniels/Lina Sáchica (UTEP) def. Madison Fenske/Melissa Coburn (IDST) 6-3
Idaho State 3-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,2,3,5,6)