UTEP Tennis Upended By Texas Tech In Season Opener
The UTEP tennis team fell in its 2022 spring dual-match opener at proverbial powerhouse Texas Tech, 5-0, on Friday.
“It was a tough match today as we expected,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “It was a great learning experience for us to play a very strong Big 12 team. We competed well on a lot of courts. I know we will continue to improve with every match this spring.”
The match opened up with doubles play where the Lady Raiders won on courts two and courts three to secure the point. Lina Sachica and Kathleen Percegona were bested by Olivia Peet and Metka Komac, 6-0 at No. 2 doubles while Eve Daniels and Elena Dibattista fell by a count of 6-1 to Camryn Stepp and Kailey Evans, 6-1, at No. 3 doubles. Thassane Abrahim and Veronika Lebisova were trailing, 5-2, to Margarita Skriabina and Cristina Tiglea when it went unfinished at the top spot.
Freshman Carlotta Mencaglia went down fighting, 6-3, 7-5, to Bojana Marinkov in her first career match for UTEP at No. 6 singles. Fellow Italian Dibattista was tripped up by Evans, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 3 singles. Sachica was knocked off by Komac, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4 singles while Percegona was bested by Skriabina, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles.
Lebisova went unfinished with Peet at No. 2 singles. She was edged in the first set, 7-6 (7-3), and was trailing 3-0 in the second when it was stopped. Freshman Laura Schmitz also had her match halted against Tiglea at No. 5 singles. The readout was 6-3, 4-4, when it was stopped.
The Miners now have a quick turnaround before returning to play host to Western New Mexico in their home opener at the El Paso Tennis Club at 12 p.m. MT Sunday
- Margarita Skriabina (TTU) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
- Olivia Peet (TTU) vs. Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) 7-6 (7-3), 3-0, unfinished
- Kailey Evans (TTU) def. Elena Dibattista (UTEP) 6-1, 6-3
- Metka Komac (TTU) def. Lina Sachica (UTEP) 6-1, 6-2
- Cristina Tiglea (TTU) vs. Laura Schmitz (UTEP) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
- Bojana Marinkov (TTU) def. Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) 6-3, 7-5
- Margarita Skriabina/Cristina Tiglea (TTU) vs. Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) 5-2, unfinished
- Olivia Peet/Metka Komac (TTU) def. Lina Sachica/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-0
- Camryn Stepp/Kailey Evans (TTU) def. Eve Daniels/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) 6-1
Texas Tech Lady Raiders 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,1,3,6)