SAN MARCOS, Texas – The UTEP women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 matchup against Texas State on Friday at the Bobcat Tennis Complex.
UTEP won the doubles point to open the match, with wins at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles. At court one, Vivienne Kulicke and Duda Santos defeated the Bobcat’s duo of Ana Perez and Yadira Rubio, 6-2, while Matilda Tench and Raven Bennett won their court three contest, 6-1, against Katy Collins and Ammaarah Tim.
In singles competition, No. 119 Kulicke picked up her 10th straight win with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Eva Dench at No. 1 to give the Miners a 2-0 advantage.
Perez earned the first point for the Bobcats defeating Tench on court four, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. UTEP responded with a win at No. 3 singles, where Lois Wagenvoort topped Yadira Rubio of Texas State, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.
The Bobcats rallied back, picking up victories at Nos. 6, 2 and 5 singles to ultimately win the match, 4-3, despite the Miners’ strong efforts.
The Orange and Blue will round up the weekend as it heads back to San Antonio to face conference rival UTSA Saturday at 10 a.m. (MT) at the UTSA Tennis Center.
- #119 Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Eva Dench (TXST) 6-2, 6-2
- Pippa Carr (TXST) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Yadira Rubio (TXST) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
- Katy Collins (TXST) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Ana Perez (TXST) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 7-5, 0-6, 7-5
- Ammaarah Tim (TXST) def. Bethan Hayward (UTEP) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
- Vivienne Kulicke/Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Ana Perez/Yadira Rubio (TXST) 6-2
- Pippa Carr/Eva Dench (TXST) vs. Matilda Tench/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 4-5, unfinished
- Raven Bennett/Bethan Hayward (UTEP) def. Katy Collins/Ammaarah Tim (TXST) 6-1