The UTEP women’s tennis team won its third straight match posting a 4-3 win over NM State at the NM State Tennis Center on Saturday.
UTEP picked the first point of the match at doubles. At No. 1 Doubles, Duda Santos and No. 107 Vivienne Kulicke downed NM State’s Rimpledeep Kaur and Ashvarya Shrivastava, 6-1. Miners Daphne Visscher and Lois Wagenvoort defeated the Aggie’s No. 2 tandem, Chloe Joliff and Lindsay Harlas, 6-1. UTEP’s Matilda Tench and Bethan Hayward were competing on court three against Marie-Pier Thiffault and Erika Lopez-Castillo, but the match was not finished because UTEP had already claimed the point.
Kulicke, playing at No. 1 singles, defeated NM State’s Kaur, 6-1, 6-3 for UTEP’s 2-0 lead in the match. Santos increased the match lead to 2-0 with her 6-1, 6-0 (7-5) win at No. 3 singles over Joliff of the Aggies. Tench topped NM State’s Mia Brandt, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 spot at singles.
NM State gained its first point of the match when Shrivastava beat Wagenvoort at the second spot, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 11-9. Lopez-Castillo won at the No. 4 spot over UTEP’s Visscher, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5). At No. 6 singles, NM State’s Harlas and Hayward battled through three sets with Harlas winning, 3-6, 6-3, 10-4.
Up next, the Orange and Blue is set to travel to Florida for three matches. First, UTEP will take on Conference USA foe Florida Atlantic on Tuesday at 9 a.m. (MT) in Boca Raton, Fla., followed by Florida Gulf Coast on Wednesday at 9 a.m. (MT) in Ft. Myers, Fla. The third match will be played in Miami, Fla. against Florida International at 9 a.m. (MT).
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 11-9
- Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Chloe Jolliff (NMSU) 6-1, 6-0 (7-5)
- Erika Lopez Castillo (NMSU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
- Matilda Tench (UTEP) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Lindsay Harlas (NMSU) def. Bethan Hayward (UTEP) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
- Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Rimpledeep Kaur/Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) 6-1
- Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Chloe Jolliff/Lindsay Harlas (NMSU) 6-1
- Marie-Pier Thiffault/Erika Lopez Castillo (NMSU) vs. Matilda Tench/Bethan Hayward (UTEP) unfinished