BOCA RATON, Fla. – The UTEP women’s tennis team defeated Florida Atlantic, 4-3, Tuesday afternoon in its first conference match of the season.
The Miners earned the decisive doubles point thanks to Daphne Visscher and Lois Wagenvoort as well as Matilda Tench and Bethan Hayward, defeating their opponents, 7-5 apiece at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively. Duda Santos and Vivienne Kulicke nearly made it a sweep but lost, 6-3, on court one.
Leading 1-0 going into singles play, the Orange and Blue fought for their victory picking up wins at courts one, three and five. Kulicke took down Jazz Whittaker of FAU, 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-0, at the top spot, while Santos picked up another match point at No. 3 against Cassie Pough (7-6 (9-7), 7-5).
Tench sealed the win for the Miners with her victory over Marisa Ruiz, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.
UTEP, now 7-5, resume play tomorrow when they face Florida Gulf Coast in Ft. Myers, Fla. at 9 a.m. (MT).
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Jazz Whittaker (FAU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-0
- Ana Gutierrez (FAU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-4, 6-3
- Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Cassie Pough (FAU) 7-6 (9-7), 7-5
- Bianca Biglione (FAU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
- Matilda Tench (UTEP) def. Marisa Ruiz (FAU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Jennifer Leib (FAU) def. Bethan Hayward (UTEP) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
- Lyndsey Boos/Ana Gutierrez (FAU) def. Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 6-3
- Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Cassie Pough/Alexis Crenshaw (FAU) 7-5
- Matilda Tench/Bethan Hayward (UTEP) def. Jazz Whittaker/Jennifer Leib (FAU) 7-5
Author: UTEP Athletics