AMES, IOWA- The UTEP women’s tennis team defeated Northern Iowa, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon in Ames, Iowa.
“Overall, the team did a good job handling the nerves that come with a season opener,” UTEP head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “They showed discipline and purpose driven execution today”.
The Miners secured the doubles point with wins from Lois Wagenvoort and Daphne Visscher at the No. 2 doubles spot (6-2) and Matilda Tench and Raven Bennett at No. 3 (6-2). The top doubles pairing of Duda Santos and Vivienne Kulicke was tied at three when the match was stopped after the Miners secured the doubles point.
Kulicke registered a 6-2, 6-2 win over UNI’s Jieke Stroobant at the No. 1 spot, while Lois Wagenvoort notched a 6-2, 6-2 win over Astrid Santos at No. 2 singles. Raven Bennet secured the match for the Miners with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Sydney Wolfe at the No. 4 singles spot.
“Everybody competed well today and we all looked ready for the season. It is really good to start off like this and this will give us a lot of confidence for the rest of the matches,” sophomore Lois Wagenvoort said.
“Tomorrow, the goal will be to take more calculated risk when opportunities arise, which will be key to break down a tough Iowa State,” Aspillaga said.
UTEP women’s tennis will continue in action tomorrow against Iowa State at 8 a.m. (MT).
UTEP 4, UNI 0
- Kulicke, Vivienne (UTEP) def. Stroobant, Jieke (UNI) 6-2, 6-2
- Lopez, Elvira (UNI) vs. Santos, Duda (UTEP) 6-7, 1-3, unfinished
- Wagenvoort, Lois (UTEP) def. Santos, Astrid (UNI) 6-2, 6-2
- Kemper, Gisela (UNI) vs. Visscher, Daphne (UTEP) 3-6, 2-5, unfinished
- Bennett, Raven (UTEP) def. Wolfe, Sydney (UNI) 6-3, 6-4
- Hunt, Savannah (UNI) vs. Hayward, Bethan (UTEP) 0-3, unfinished
- Stroobant, Jieke/Lopez, Elvira (UNI) vs. Kulicke, Vivienne/Santos, Duda (UTEP) 3-3, unfinished
- Visscher, Daphne/Wagenvoort, Lois (UTEP) def. Santos, Astrid/Wolfe, Sydney (UNI) 6-3
- Tench, Matilda/Bennett, Raven (UTEP) def. Kemper, Gisela/Hunt, Savannah (UNI) 6-2
Author: UTEP Athletics