AMES, IOWA – The UTEP women’s tennis team grabbed a huge upset over Iowa State with a 4-3 victory at the Ames Racquet and Fitness Center on Sunday.
The victory over the Cyclones is the first BCS win since the Orange and Blue beat No. 70 Colorado (5-4) on Feb. 26, 2000 in El Paso. This is the first Big 12 win for UTEP since winning (6-3) against Nebraska on Mar. 18, 1995.
The Miners took the doubles point to begin the match, picking up back-to-back 6-2 wins on courts two and three. Vivienne Kulicke and Duda Santos fell, 6-2, to Samantha Budai and Liza Buss at the No. 1 position.
“Our doubles is looking really solid and it is taking a lot of pressure away from singles,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “The team played with poise and great purpose across the board. Our team dynamic has improved immensely and the girls seem to be striving better together every day.”
In singles, freshman Raven Bennett topped Iowa State’s Alejandra Galvis, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1. Kulicke followed by picking up a 6-2, 7-6 (5) victory against Budai at the No. 1 spot. Lois Wagenvoort sealed the match with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win over Regina Espindola.
“Today resiliency was key. The team did a great job extending the points, making a huge difference in the outcome of the match,” assistant coach Oliver Sindayigaya said. “We played long and physical points and that pressured Iowa State in a major way.”
UTEP women’s tennis will continue on the road as it will face Central Oklahoma on Jan. 23 at 2:00 p.m. (MT) and Colorado onJan. 24 at 11 a.m. (MT) in Albuquerque, N.M.
UTEP 4, Iowa State 3
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Budai, Samantha (ISU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- Buss, Liza (ISU) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 2-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
- Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Espindola, Regina (ISU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
- Kuuttila, Anna (ISU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
- Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Galvis, Alejandra (ISU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
- Bonadonna, Annabella (ISU) def. Bethan Hayward (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
- Buss, Liza/Budai, Samantha (ISU) def. Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) 6-2
- Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Galvis, Alejandra/Bonadonna, Annabella (ISU) 6-2
- Matilda Tench/Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Gasparovic, Ana/Kuuttila, Anna (ISU) 6-2