AUSTIN – Senior Lilian Koech closed out the last day of the 92nd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in stellar fashion on Saturday afternoon.
“We had a few individuals register personal-best marks this weekend with Karol (Koncos) in the hammer throw and Carolyne Chepkosgei in the 1,500m,” said UTEP head coach Mika Laaksonen. “I’m also very pleased with Lilian’s (Koech) performance in the 800m and 1,500m. She was the second collegiate finisher in the 800m and took second in the 1,500m. Although Chantoba (Bright) didn’t have her best meet, she was very competitive in both the long and triple jump.”
The distance runner took the track in the women’s 1,500m with teammate Carolyne Chepkosgei. Koech notched a second-place finish with a season-best time of 4:21.84. Chepkosgei was the fourth collegiate runner to cross the finish line with a personal-best time of 4:25.78. Koech time currently rates fourth nationally, while Chepkosgei time ranks 14th nationally.
Also on the women’s side, Chantoba Bright represented the Miners in the women’s long jump. In the highly-competitive field, Bright took 11th place with a leap of 6.02m (19-9) and was the top freshman finisher.
The small group of Miners concluded the final day of competition at the Bobcat Invitational on Saturday afternoon in San Marcos, Texas.
Freshman Kaylah Shepherd finished fourth in the javelin throw a field that included 32 competitors. The thrower registered a personal-best mark of 42.66m, which currently rates fourth in Conference USA.
On the men’s side, Darius King took seventh place in the triple jump, while teammate Iason Machairas also finished in seventh in the shot put.
· Karol Koncos posted a personal best of 65.59 in the men’s hammer throw.
· Lilian Koech time of 2:05.42 in the 800m currently ranks third nationally. Her time (2:05.42) in the 1,500m rates fourth nationally.
· Carolyne Chepkosgei notched a personal-best time of 4:25.78 in the 1,500m.
· Chantoba Bright’s leap of 13.01m in the triple jump currently rates second in Conference USA.
· Kaylah Shepherd posted a personal best of 42.66m in the javelin throw.
Next up, the Miners will be back in action on April 12-13 at the Texas A&M Invitational in College Station, Texas