New William Beaumont Army Medical Center | Photo courtesy WBAMC
Via a social media post Friday evening, officials with William Beaumont Army Medical Center announced that they have delayed the March 28 movement of patients to the new hospital facility.
According to the post, the move was delayed “pending completion of actions required to provide safe, high quality patient care and to ensure compliance with life safety standards.”
“We have run into a few challenges in the final phase of our transition to the new hospital, and will continue to work with all our partners in the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Health Facilities Planning Agency, and the Defense Health Agency to ensure they’re properly addressed,” said Col. Michael S. Oshiki, commander, WBAMC.
“We are all committed to remediating these issues as quickly as possible, and opening a world class facility that will provide the best possible care to our beneficiaries.”
Last month, WBAMC staff conducted a Day In the Life (DIL) exercise, where they ran through mock patient care scenarios to validate processes and equipment before moving into the new facility.
“The purpose of this type of exercise is to refine procedures for patient care; to identify issues that could potentially impact the ability to provide safe, quality care to patients; or conditions that potentially impact compliance with life safety standards,” officials said.
“Based on the results of this exercise, all stakeholders agreed that the issues identified needed to be remediated prior to moving patients and opening the new hospital, and they are working to establish a timeline for accomplishment.”
Officials did not share a new date for the patient transfer from the existing facility to the new one.