The UTEP tennis team extended its winning streak to three after drilling Division II program UT Tyler 7-0, at the El Paso Tennis Club on Saturday.
The Miners (7-12) took care of business across the board, winning every match on each court in both singles and doubles play against the Patriots (6-9). It marked the third consecutive victory, the longest surge at the school since UTEP won four in a row in 2016. The effort also moved the Orange and Blue to 5-1 at home on the year.
“I’m very proud of the girls today for keeping the energy up after the win yesterday,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We came out strong, winning all the doubles matches. That carried on into the singles.”
The match commenced with doubles, with UTEP taking the point to secure the early lead in the match. Vanessa Valdez and Kirsten Prelle derailed Anna Claire Gerletti and Brooke Brewer, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles. The duo remains undefeated (4-0) in dual play, with all of the wins coming at the top slot.
Erandi Martinez and Rine Nozaki dispatched Ana Zaidan and Lauren Kuhn, 6-2, at No. 3 doubles to lock up the team point. For good measure, Yvette van Oijen and Kathleen Percegona bested Chloe Chawner and Victoria Kniffen, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles.
UTEP kept things going on singles, winning in straight sets in each of the matches. Prelle waxed Chawner, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1 singles. The freshman now stands 20-8 on the year, including 11-5 in dual action. Nozaki posted her second victory in as many days, cruising past Zaidan, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6 singles. Milena Baigorria downed Kniffen, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 5 singles, officially clinching the match for the Orange and Blue.
Martinez drilled Brewer, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 3 singles, to snag her second straight win. The senior van Oijen also tasted victory for the second consecutive match, knocking off Kuhn, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4 singles, Percegona capped off the flawless day with a 6-2, 6-3 result against Gerletti at No. 2 singles.
UTEP will be back in action when it wraps up the regular season at home against I-10 rival NM State on “Senior Day” at 2 p.m. MT on April 13.
Tennis Match Results UT Tyler vs UTEP 4/6/2019 at El Paso, Texas
(El Paso Tennis Club)
UTEP 7, UT Tyler 0
1. Kirsten Prelle (UTEP) def. Chloe Chawner (UTTY) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Anna Claire Gerletti (UTTY) 6-2, 6-3
3. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Brooke Brewer (UTTY) 6-2, 6-0
4. Yvette Van Oijen (UTEP) def. Lauren Kuhn (UTTY) 6-3, 6-0
5. Milena Baigorria (UTEP) def. Victoria Kniffen (UTTY) 6-3, 6-0
6. Rine Nozaki (UTEP) def. Ana Zaidan (UTTY) 6-0, 6-1
1. Vanessa Valdez/Kirsten Prelle (UTEP) def. Anna Claire Gerletti/Brooke Brewer (UTTY) 6-3
2. Yvette van Oijen/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Chloe Chawner/Victoria Kniffen (UTTY) 6-3
3. Erandi Martinez/Rine Nozaki (UTEP) def. Ana Zaidan/Lauren Kuhn (UTTY) 6-2
UT Tyler 6-9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,5,3,4,2)