Clip courtesy YISD
On Tuesday, officials with the Ysleta Independent School District (YISD) announced that the district is now offering a new full-day pre-kindergarten program free of charge at select campuses for qualified El Paso-area families for the 2019-2020 academic year that begins in August.
“Ysleta ISD is now the first among the city’s three largest public school districts to offer the new full-day pre-K program, thanks to the passage of House Bill 3, which was signed into law last week and provides state funding for full-day pre-K programs for families who meet certain criteria,” district officials shared.
Since HB3 was signed into law, YISD officials have worked promptly and diligently to make the full-day program available at select campuses to families this upcoming school year. As a result, registration packets are now available at each participating campus.
Families in El Paso County can qualify for full-day pre-K if their student is four-years-old on or before Sepember 1, and meets one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- Educationally disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program;
- Is homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child’s guardian or other person having lawful control of the child;
- Is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Is in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code; or
- Is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer, firefighter, or emergency medical first responder.
Due to the limited space, spots in full-day pre-K classes will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Campuses with full-day pre-K classes are as follows: the Parkland and Ysleta Pre-K centers; and Constance Hulbert, East Point, Eastwood Heights, Edgemere, Glen Cove, LeBarron Park, Loma Terrace, Pasodale, Pebble Hills, Scotsdale, Tierra Del Sol, and Vista Hills elementary schools.
For more information regarding Ysleta ISD’s pre-K program and the registration process, visit the website.